- What is TUBAL LIGATION or Tubal Sterilization
- On what part of the body is it done ?
- WHO performs the procedure ?
- WHERE can it be performed ?
- What DIAGNOSTIC TESTS should be performed ?
- Please provide DESCRIPTION of the Procedure ?
- How long does one stay in the hospital after
the procedure is done ?
- What is the PROBABLE OUTCOME of this
- Is there any for POSTOPERATIVE CARE ?
- When should the patient regularize her
routine ACTIVITY ?
- When should one contact Doctor ?
- Will sterilization end an EXISTING
- Will it cause menopause?
- Will it PREVENT MENOPAUSE?
- Will it prevent SEXUALLY TRANSMITTED
- Will I still have a period?
- Will I be as feminine?
- Will I GAIN WEIGHT or develop facial hair?
- How soon can I have sexual INTERCOURSE
- Will sterilization decrease my SEXUAL
- Can sterilization be REVERSED?
- What POSSIBLE COMPLICATIONS may be expected
or for any
other questions click here.
1). What is
Tubal Ligation or Tubal Sterilization ?
It is a procedure of Tying the fallopian tubes to accomplish sterilization in a woman,
resulting into permanent birth control. top^
2). On what part of the body is it done ?
Fallopian Tubes. top^
WHO performs the procedure ?
Obstetrician-gynecologist or general
WHERE can it be performed ?
Hospital or outpatient surgical facility.
What DIAGNOSTIC TESTS should be performed ?
- Before surgery: Pregnancy, Blood and urine studies.
- After surgery: Blood studies. top^
Please provide DESCRIPTION OF the Procedure ?
- Several techniques are used to expose the fallopian tubes
for surgery. The most common are laparoscopy, posterior colpotomy (approach through the
rear of the vagina) and minilaparotomy (approach through an incision just above the
- Once the fallopian tubes are exposed, a small section of
each tube is blocked with silicone ring bands or cut free and removed.
- If an incision was made, the skin is closed with sutures
or clips, which usually can be removed about 1 week after surgery. top^
How long does one stay in the hospital after the procedure is done ?
AVERAGE HOSPITAL STAY is normally 0 to 1
What is the PROBABLE OUTCOME of this procedure ?
Expect complete healing without
complications with sterility for rest of the life. Your menstrual periods will continue as
usual. Allow about 2 weeks for recovery from surgery. top^
Is there any for Postoperative Care ?
- Use an electric heating pad, a heat lamp or a warm
compress to relieve surgicalwound pain.
- Bathe and shower as usual. You may wash the incision
gently with mild unscented soap.
- Consider psychological counseling if you feel sad or
depressed after the surgery.
- You may use non--prescription drugs, such as
acetaminophen, for minor pain. top^
When should the patient regularize her routine ACTIVITY ?
- Return to daily activities and work as soon as possible to
promote healing, but avoid physical or mental stress.
- Avoid vigorous exercise for 2 weeks after surgery.
- Resume driving 3 days after returning home.
- Resume sexual relations when your doctor has determined
that healing is complete.
- DIET-Clear liquid diet until the gastrointestinal tract
functions again. Then eat a well--balanced diet to promote healing. top^
When should one contact Doctor ?
- If Pain, swelling, redness, drainage or bleeding increases
in the surgical area.
- You develop signs of infection: headache, muscle aches,
dizziness or a general ill feeling and fever.
- You experience nausea, vomiting, constipation or abdominal
- New, unexplained symptoms develop.
- Drugs used in treatment produces side effects.
Will sterilization end an existing pregnancy?
No. Sterilization will not be preformed
if you are pregnant. top^
Will it cause menopause?
No. Sterilization does not cause menopause or any of its symptoms. top^
Will it prevent menopause?
No. You will still experience menopause later in life. top^
Will it prevent sexually transmitted disease?
Will I still have a period?
Yes. Your menstrual cycle and flow should be the same after the operation as they were
before. However, if you were using birth control pills before the surgery, it may take a
while for your cycle to get back to normal. top^
Will I be as feminine?
Yes. The hormones that affect hair, voice, sex drive, muscle tone, breast size, etc., are
still made in your ovaries. They will still flow throughout the body in the bloodstream. top^
Will I gain weight or develop facial hair?
No. Sterilization does not cause weight gain or facial hair. top^
How soon can I have sexual intercourse again?
Ask your doctor's advice. Do not have intercourse until you feel comfortable about it. It
usually takes about a week after abdominal sterilization. You will have to wait at least
four weeks after a vaginal sterilization or sterilization after childbirth. top^
Will sterilization decrease my sexual pleasure?
No. In fact, many women and men report that they have less tension about unwanted
pregnancy after sterilization. They feel that the lack of tension increases their sexual
Can sterilization be reversed?
If you are thinking about reversal, don't have a Tubal sterilization. Reversal procedures
require complicated surgery and cost thousands of dollars. Even though tubes can sometimes
be rejoined, pregnancy cannot be guaranteed. Many women cannot even attempt reversals
because there is not enough of their tubes left in the reproductive tract. top^
22). What POSSIBLE COMPLICATIONS may be expected
- Inadvertent injury to bowel.
- Shoulder pain (after laparoscopy). top^
For all your questions regarding:
||Natural Family Planning
|other related topics
* Link to a highly informative site of Family Health